Gerardo Cantú was born in Nueva Rosita, Coahuila on May 12, 1934. He studied painting in the Plastic Arts workshop of the Autonomous University of Nuevo Leon (1950) and later at the School of Painting and Sculpture of the National Institute of Fine Arts (La Esmeralda) (1955-58). Scholarship in Prague, Czechoslovakia in 1958, he lives for about four years in Europe, mainly in Prague and later in Paris. Take advantage of your stay in the Old World to travel extensively in various countries. Upon his return to Mexico, Cantú works as a teacher at the UANL Plastic Arts Workshop, in Monterrey. He moved to the capital, where he participated as a painter in carrying out didactic works for the Museum of Anthropology and the Museum of Mexico City (formerly Counts of Calimaya). From 1979 to 80 he worked as a teacher of Drawing and Painting at the School of Painting and Sculpture La Esmeralda (INBA). At the end of 1985 he moved to the city of Monterrey and in 1986 he was appointed Director of Plastic Arts of the newly created Institute of Culture of Nuevo Leon. In 1987 he became Director of the ICNL Workshop on Plastic Experimentation. In the nineties he exhibited individually at the Palacio de Bellas Artes, Mexico, D.F. From 1991 to the present, he resides alternately in Mexico City and Monterrey. In 2001 he made the retrospective exhibition: “Sueños y Raíces” at the Museo Metropolitano de Monterrey, N.L. In 2002 he made the exhibition "Gerardo Cantú ... Large Format Painting" at the UANI "Raúl Rangel Frías" University Library, within the framework of the Alfonsino Festival.